Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The bugs are here!


It's an exciting time in second grade... Our ecosystems are set up, and our bugs are here!  My scholars were so excited to share their observations and show me all their discoveries that I forgot to snap a picture.  I had so much fun supporting them as they touched worms and snails for the first time.  One child was so nervous, and two of his friends coached him through the whole thing...

"It's ok.  You got this."

"You can do it!  Just tell your brain - I'm ok!  I got this.  Now close your eyes and take a big breath in and out."

"Ok!  Now open them, and do it!"

"AAAAH!  It's so slimy!"

Seriously... Best.  Day.  Ever.

And I don't even like bugs!
 

In other news, I had the pleasure of visiting Village Tech in Cedar Hill, TX last week, and I loved every moment of it!  The best part was that the students gave the tour.  They did a fantastic job, and I learned so much from hearing from them. 

My students were excited to learn about the way they continue trying until they get a skill, rather than focusing on completing a task.  This has really had an impact on us this week.  I'm always hearing, "I'm done!" immediately followed by, "Do you need feedback?"  On Monday, they didn't want to leave school until they had achieved their math goals.  My teacher heart soared! :)

Here's the chart we're using to remind us how to give effective feedback before we try our next iteration.


Of course we're continuing our work on poetry.  Is this poem awesome or what?  She wrote this beauty after 2 days of instruction!  I was so proud to see her taking out the math tools and using them to check her spelling and gather shape names.


 In one of our guided reading groups, we are working on noticing when we stop understanding and taking action!  This is an anchor chart we created to help us remember the conversation.







I hope you're enjoying your week as much as we are!



No comments:

Post a Comment